List of Editorial Office Addresses
Frequently Asked Editorial Questions
HOW TO PREPARE YOUR SUBMISSION TO HARLEQUIN, SILHOUETTE
Unless otherwise noted, we do not accept unsolicited complete manuscripts, but ask instead that you submit a query letter. The query letter should include a word count and pertinent facts about yourself as a writer including your familiarity with the romance genre and also an outline of your story. Please indicate what series you think your project is appropriate for, if it is completed, what you think makes it special and previous publishing experience (if any). Also include a synopsis of your story that gives a clear idea of both your plot and character development and is no more than two single-spaced pages. A self-addressed envelope and return international postage coupons will ensure a reply. Should your manuscript be requested, please note the following information.
1. Harlequin, Silhouette, Mills & Boon and Steeple Hill publishes only category/series romance (and inspirational romance under Steeple Hill). Please do not submit any other type of fiction or non-fiction. Your manuscript should be told in the third person, primarily from the heroine's point of view. However, the hero's perspective may be used to enhance tension, plot or character development. Please see the guidelines for each series for details.
2. All material should be the author's own original work. Stories that contain scenes or plot lines that bear a striking resemblance to previously published work are in breach of copyright law and are not acceptable.
3. All material must be typewritten, double-spaced and on a reasonably heavy bond paper. No disk submissions. Computer-generated material is acceptable, but must be letter quality, and pages must be separated. Any material received on computer reams will be returned without evaluation.
4. Do not submit your material bound in binders, boxes or containers of any kind. Secure material by rubber bands. Cover sheets must have your complete name, address and phone number. Each page should be numbered sequentially thereafter. Please type your name and title in the upper left-hand corner of each page. If we ask to see your manuscript, please include a complete synopsis. Enclose a self-addressed, stamped postcard if you require acknowledgment of receipt.
5. All material will be evaluated in as timely a fashion as volume allows. Please do not call regarding the status of your manuscript. You will be notified by mail as soon as your work has been reviewed.
6. Do not send any material that is being considered by another publisher. Multiple submissions are not acceptable. A literary agent is not required in order to submit.
7. You must enclose a stamped, self-addressed envelope with all material you send in. This will ensure the return of your material. Please send an envelope large enough to accommodate your work and adequate postage in the form of international postage coupons or an international money order, where appropriate.
8. This sheet is designed as a guide to aid you in understanding our requirements and standards. However, there is no better way to determine what we are looking for than reading our books.
9. We enter into discussions about payment only when a contract is offered. This information is confidential.
10. We take every reasonable care of manuscripts while they are with us and will return any which prove unsuitable (provided return postage is supplied), but we cannot take responsibility for the vagaries of the post office, so please be sure to retain a photocopy of your manuscript against unfortunate losses.
SUBMITTING TO MILLS & BOON
Mills & Boon prefer to receive partial submissions. These should include the first three chapters and a synopsis of the rest of the story. .
SUBMITTING TO MIRA
At this time, MIRA Books is only accepting agented submissions. Harlequin and Silhouette published authors should contact their editor if interested in submitting to MIRA.